Saturday, January 29, 2011

A not-post

I was sitting in the Suzzallo reading room a few days ago working on some school stuff, and I thought hey! Why not start taking notes on stuff I could put in a blog post later? I haven't written anything in a while, but I'm feeling too lazy to write much at the moment, so maybe...a list! Yeah! I like lists! Lists are easy, and ADD-friendly! So without further ado (because I seriously need to put in some time on my 560 User Needs Assessment that's due, oh, TOMORROW *panicky flailing*), a collection of random thoughts. I might eventually run with some of them and turn them into a real post, buuuuut I might not. Who knows.

My original blog post opener:

In my Instructional and Training Strategies class right now, we've been asked to read a couple articles that have quietly started the wheels turning in my head regarding why exactly I want to do what I want to do with my life.

While listening to the first story in the This American Life episode "Image Makers" (Ep 294):

"Who does her own librarian version of 'Hello Escanaba, are you ready to rock?'" --> "Hello kids! So what are you here to see today? *pauses* A rock concert! That's right!" *facepalm*

Volunteering during the kids rock concert at SPL killed me - patrons were upset, expecting the library to be a quiet place, and yeah, for 364 days out of the year, it usually is. So what if for one afternoon, they want to be loud?

Why the hell can't libraries be fun, exciting places where people meet, collaborate, and engage with each other?

Libraries are for the young. The learners. The innovators. It's time we took that back.

"Did it make you think differently about the library?"
"Yes it did! It made me think about...hey, if librarians can do this, make a library not very much a library with making it loud, basically anyone could do anything!"

While watching 'The Hollywood Librarian':

"I long to throw my arms around every librarian I meet on behalf of all the souls they never knew they saved." -Barbara Kingsolver

Keepers of a civilizing flame.

Weight of the library world is on our shoulders.

Schmuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. (I have no idea why I wrote this.)

Defense of libraries focuses a lot on children's librarianship, providing services for the homeless or disadvantaged, and helping students. What can libraries do for the average person?

Book clubs or group or discussions give people a safe outlet to discuss things beyond the superficial and connect with each other in a deep way.

The Hollywood Librarian = a nostalgic love letter to libraries past.

Mitchell and Webb! Aaahahhhaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!! I kinda want to post the librarian one on fb, but it might make people who don't possess senses of humor mad.

Libraries should be at the technological forefront of information storage, retrieval, and management.

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I'm an iSchool student. I don't know if I know you, but April M. gave me your blog. Have you seen http://hacklibschool.wordpress.com yet? If you haven't, check it out. And, if you're interested, we'd love to talk to you about your interest in blogging somewhere else about library school. Shoot me an email heidifk@gmail.com! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a read-aloud as a fundraiser once in Barnes and Noble. I led a couple of loud, funny audience-participation stories, and finished with a rousing version of Going on a Bear Hunt. Patrons were not happy that kids were getting so "unruly" in their temple of reading. Same patrons, I guess, who read a book with their muffin and coffee, and then put same blueberry-smeared book back on the shelves.

    BTW, love your in-the-face style. We all need a badass librarian in our lives!

    ReplyDelete